|November is National Family Caregivers Month|
|By Member Joyce Shry|
|November 2, 2021|
FREDERICK, MD –Frederick County Senior Services Division is celebrating November as National Family Caregivers Month. The Frederick County Caregiver Support Program (CSP) began offering services in 2001 following an amendment to the Older Americans Act that prioritized the health and wellbeing of caregivers.
Frederick County CSP supports caregivers by raising awareness about caregiving issues, offering supports and services, providing education and referrals, and helping family members access services.
During the month of November, the CSP will be offering the following virtual activities:
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers class, six consecutive weeks on Tuesdays, November 9 – December 14, from 9am until 11am. Powerful Tools for Caregivers classes help caregivers take better care of themselves while caring for a friend or relative.
- Improv for Wellness: For Caregivers and their Loved Ones workshop series, four consecutive weeks on Tuesdays, November 9 – 30, from 1:30pm – 2:30pm. Improv for Wellness: For Caregivers and their Loved Ones will deepen connections through mirror games using movement and gesture; explore expression through games of motion and sound; and discover how playing together unleashes our own spontaneity and intuition. Most of all, we will have fun!
- Caregiving Through the Holidays workshop, Monday, November 22, from 10am – 11am. Balancing the holidays while providing care to a loved one can be bittersweet. Join us and learn tips and techniques to help navigate traditions and set realistic expectations.
- Caregiver Support Group, Wednesday, November 24, from 1:30pm – 2:30pm.
- Medicare Open Enrollment drug plan reviews, appointments available through December 7. Is your current Medicare Part D plan the best for you? Schedule an appointment to review and discuss.
Please call 301-600-6001 or email caregiversupport@FrederickCountyMD.gov to register for any of the upcoming programs or connect with a Caregiver Support Coordinator. More information about the Caregiver Support Program can also be found on the Senior Services Division website: https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/301/Caregiver-Program
You can learn about care giving by volunteering. Start today!